Thursday, September 29, 2011

Firing her up!

This morning I fired up a fully loaded (with porcelain) kiln.  Mine is 18 x 23.  I kept a notes during this firing process.  I  I was able to see the glow, but could not really see any details.  I am using green # 5 welding glasses.  I don't know how I will ever be able to use witness cones.

I did a 7 hour fire, but the kiln sitter shut off approximately 30-45 minutes prior to the total 7 hours.  I wanted to be there when it did, so I could take a temperature reading.  I inserted a wire into the kiln using an Omega TrueRMS Supermeter  to read the temperature.  Apparently, this devise can read up to 2000 F.

In the meantime, I have spent most of my day searching various web sites and looking at ceramic books.  I wanted to throw, but the wheel is in the same room as the kiln and it is not vented.  OH!  My alarm is going off.  Time to check the temp.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane,
    Apparently my first comment didn't show up.
    If you have access to a digital camera it would be nice to see a picture of your kiln.

    ReplyDelete