Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Goals for Fall Quarter Ceramics Independent Study

I just bought a used electric kiln.  It is very basic and just has a kiln sitter.  My goal this quarter is to transition from high fire ceramics to low/mid range.  I specifically wanted a basic kiln as I believe part of the learning processing and getting to know my kiln, is to watch it.  I need to understand the entire process and not simply depend on a computer. 
My first task will be to use up and bisque all my high fire porcelain clay.  I plan on researching and making 05 glazes and firing in my home kiln.  Because I don't have a pyrometer on the kiln, I have a lot of questions as to how to glaze fire, venting etc.  Yesterday, I found myself wandering around Seattle Pottery, picking up this and that.  In the end, I put everything back because I want to talk to Rachel first.

No comments:

Post a Comment