Friday, October 28, 2011

Inspiration

I get inspired everywhere.  Often I can't sleep because I have forms or techniques I would like to try.  I spend a lot of time on the internet, reading books and magazines and I try to visit galleries and museums when I can. 

I used to post pictures in a sketchbook and draw a form based on the piece.  I don't like to make a carbon copy.  I want it to be my own.  I have not kept up with the sketchbook as I should.  This is something I am trying to improve on.

In California, my professor was fantastic on the wheel.  He threw the most elegant large thin forms.  I took many pictures of his demonstrations and I often refer back to these.  His philosophy was to throw a good form and only trim a foot.  Never trim the body.   I tend not to fire a lot of my pieces I do because they simply are not up to par.  Therefore, I have the extra job of recycling my own clay by hand. :(

I like functional art.  I think there is a connection when a piece is picked up and used.  My favorite coffee cups are my own.  They fit my hands perfectly.  I enjoy soup just a little bit more when it is served in a heated ceramic bowl.  One of my favorite pieces I made makes a perfect "big salad" bowl.  I have yet to be able to duplicate this form.

No comments:

Post a Comment