Friday, October 28, 2011

Someone Else's Work as an Inspiration

Through the internet I located a few artist that do 'naked raku'  Charles and Linda Riggs are putting on a workshop (today!) in Atlanta showing their techniques.  I signed up on the wait list, but it is just too popular.  Linda wrote to me and I will try to attend one of their 2012 workshops. 

I just bought a book called Painting with Smoke by David Roberts.  Really beautiful work.  He is giving a workshop the Summer of 2012 in Northern Italy.  That would be so fun!  I wrote for information. 

Raku and smoke fire is appealing because the form is truly exposed and you can see how the smoke has danced around it.  I think it really brings a piece alive. I'm not a fan of glaze.  There are very few glazes I really like (student glazes anyway) and I do not enjoy the glazing process.

Another reason I am interested in raku and smoke firing is because I am building my own studio.  I cannot afford to fire a gas reduction ^10.   I am also interested in sculptural pieces and these do not need to be food safe.

4 comments:

  1. I did a phone interview with David Roberts as an undergraduate. I love his work.

    Have you built your raku kiln? Have we seen pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, your work area is great and an inspiration for me to get going on mine?? The bowl (small red) in the student sale really stood out. I think you have the forms (and quality) you need to enter the market. Please dont' forget your bisqwue ware boxes and sculpture. It's my personal feeling that an artist needs several complementary forms, but you have plenty of room to expand out from what you have. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Jane,
    you asked about slides and marketing and I'm working on it but here's an older post that touches on some slide stuff:
    http://racheldorn.blogspot.com/2011/09/taking-slides.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big long post on slides for YOU!

    http://racheldorn.blogspot.com/2011/11/taking-slides-recommendations-and-my.html

    ReplyDelete